Swim bike run

All about triathlon training, getting in shape in my 40s, biking, running, hiking, swimming, playing with my kids

Monday, March 14, 2011

Spring update

The gym has been doing what I hoped, but I'm so glad to see spring arriving. I can run again! Last week I managed to get out for 10.5 miles total, in addition to a couple of gym sessions. This morning daylight savings time and a late bedtime conspired against me. There was no way I was getting myself moving early enough to get to the gym, but I did manage to sneak in a short fast run. I'm going to keep the gym membership for now. I like the rowing machine a lot, and the pool is great when it's not crowded, but I expect I'll go less frequently now hat I can move while outside once again. I didn't realize until this winter how deeply I hibernate in the winter. I just don't want to move when it's cold and dark. I'd be a mess if I lived in Finland.
Something I learned post-triathlon. I do far better with a specific training goal on the calendar. A general plan to, for instance, up my running miles over the winter, is not enough motivation for me. Dusty and I are signed up for a 10k in Vermont in May. I'm going to look at the summer and fall triathlon schedules and start making a plan. I'd love to do a sprint this spring and a longer triathlon in the fall, but I'd also like to train for a fall half marathon and I'm not sure whether I can do all of that plus everything else we've got planned for this year. Ladt year, Between the ALC and triathlon training, I didn't do nearly as much hiking or long bike rides as I would have liked. Plus, you kniw, the rest of my life takes some time and attention. I'm still trying to figure out how to balance training and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment