Swim bike run

All about triathlon training, getting in shape in my 40s, biking, running, hiking, swimming, playing with my kids

Friday, July 2, 2010

Swimming lesson

Last night I met Alison for our second swimming lesson. I really have learned some stuff! The first couple of lengths I felt like I was largely getting it - breathing decently, raising my elbows, keeping my abs tight, not kicking too much. Toward the end of the second length I was already tiring a lot, and could feel my form falling apart. This also means that I started screwing up my breathing.

Alison gave me more pointers, most of which were helpful, but it started feeling like too much to try at once. Toward the middle of our hour in the pool I just felt frustrated and tired and uncoordinated. Eventually I gave up on trying to do everything properly. I rested for a bit, and tried another lap, just to see what I could do. Again, the first length was pretty good, the beginning of the second length was okay, and then I was tired and it all fell apart.

I think at this point I need to practice practice practice. I need to be stronger in the water, obviously, and I need to work on my technique at the same time. I need more time in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment