Swim bike run

All about triathlon training, getting in shape in my 40s, biking, running, hiking, swimming, playing with my kids

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Do we ever think we're good enough?

I bumped into a friend during my morning run yesterday. We went to law school together and our daughters are in the same grade. We ran together for a short while then I headed home while she did another lap around the pond. She's faster than me so we both had to adjust our pace a bit to run together.

She told me that she runs 5 days a week, for about 45 minutes each time. I told her that I was impressed. I didn't mention that I was also intimidated by her running, but I suspect my tone gave me away. Her response? In an ashamed tone she said "but that's all I do. I don't bike, or swim, like you. "

Here we were, two busy women, lives full of work and kid responsibilities, still making time to stay (get) in shape. Instead of being proud of what we do, we each think the other is doing more, doing a better job, and we each discount what we do as not enough.

I am trying, really trying, to stop doing that. To stop judging my own efforts and accomplishments as not good enough. Trying to quiet the voice inside me that dismisses my efforts because it thinks that if I can do it it's clearly not hard enough to count.

What I don't know is, with what do I replace that voice? I think my self-criticism is part of how I keep pushing myself further. I find it hard to believe that pride and satisfaction is enough. I'd like to find out though.

1 comment:

  1. This requires some deep discussion. I know your Dad will weigh in... as will I. I sent you an article today which discussed some of this.
    I'm not sure that self-criticism is the most productive way to expand yourself.

    ReplyDelete